It has been a while since I shared some of my recipes! I put up a poll on Instagram and I got a 100% vote request for the recipe. So I am back with a recipe for all those who would like to enjoy some homemade pancakes from scratch. Perhaps you are looking for a breakfast treat, a stack of pancakes with maple syrup sounds perfect right! My pancake journey has been a hit or miss situation. The first time I attempted, I had crushed frozen blueberries and added them to my batter. The pancakes came out totally dark. The other mistake I made was using baking soda without activating first. All I could taste was baking soda. It was nasty.
As long as you add acid to the mix, you can substitute baking powder with baking soda. This recipe calls for lemon juice as the acid.
*Add the lemon juice to baking soda separately then add to the mixture immediately as it bubbles.*
ØPrep time 5m Ø Cook time 15m Ø Approx 8 pancakes Ø Ready in 20m
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder or 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Sift together (dry ingredients) flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Melt butter and wait for it to cool slightly
- You could warm up the milk to avoid the melted butter from forming chunks.
- Mix the wet ingredients: milk, egg and melted butter
- Create space at center of bowl and pour in the wet ingredients; mix until smooth with a whisk or fork.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. You could use butter instead of oil. I prefer using butter.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the pan, using a serving spoon or 1/4 cup for each pancake. Place the blueberries onto batter in the pan and let them cook.
- Only flip the pancake when you start to see tiny bubbles on the surface and the liquid has reduced for a less messy flip.
- Serve with maple syrup or honey in the absence of maple syrup. I love to add nutella once in a while. You may choose to simply place the blueberries on top of your pancakes when ready.
NB: You can decide to be creative with this recipe without changing the basic recipe. You could try adding bananas or mini chocolate chips.
Enjoy and Let me know what you think once you have tried it.
*Remember, you are marked by flawless craftsmanship*