What is a hot oil treatment?
This treatment prevents dry, brittle hair and split ends while strengthening and moisturizing your hair strands. The process involves applying warm oil to hair and scalp. Both wet and dry hair can benefit from this treatment. I have recently discovered that doing this treatment after washing and conditioning your hair is most effective as hair is wet.
What oils can I use?
People tend to mix a whole bunch of oils for these treatments without an aim. I say this because oils have different benefits and roles when applied to your hair, therefore, before applying an oil, know why you are doing so. I use avocado and coconut oil because these penetrate the shaft very easily. Coconut oil penetrates your hair as soon as you apply it and prevents protein loss while avocado oil is highly as penetrative and contains antioxidants that are great for healing damaged hair from UV rays and heat tools.
Hot Oil treatment procedure
- wash and condition hair
- section the hair into four sections. If you have shorter hair, 6 sections will be easier to handle. You may section hair with shower clips or bantu knots. The latter might be extra work so the clips should be the easier alternative
- put oil(I use two oils:coconut & avocado oil) into a cup you have dedicated to hair care. 1/4 cup of oil is enough to work through all sections. I discourage the use of plastic bottles to warm oil.
- Warm the oil using a ‘water bath’. place your cup into a bowl filled with very hot water for about 3-4 minutes for the oil to warm up
- Working through each section, apply the oil ensuring to coat all strands evenly.
- Then apply your deep conditioning treatment/ hair mask to all sections. I started using shea moisture intensive hydration hair masque this weekend because a friend recommended it. I am very impressed with the results so far. My hair was left feeling very soft and hydrated as promised
- Use a heating cap/thermal steam heat cap/ plastic cap and wrap a warm towel over the plastic cap. Leave it on your head for about 30 mins. I purchased this Gold N Hot deep conditioning cap about 2 years ago and it’s been a huge part of my weekly hair regimen. It aids in activating conditioners and leaves the hair soft and manageable after deep conditioning treatments.
- Once time is up, rinse hair with cold water. Yes I know! Cold water is unpleasant especially on your scalp. By using cold water, it closes your cuticle so that your hair doesn’t get damaged enabling it to stay shiny, healthy and frizz-free for a longer period of time.
- Please do not shampoo the hot oil treatment out of your hair for best results.
Hot Oil Treatment for Dry /itchy Scalp/ dandruff
Once again keep in mind the role of oil before you apply it. Some oils penetrate the shaft while others both penetrate but act as a sealant to avoid moisture loss. The later helps with the dryness and itchy scalp. The oils commonly used for this:
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Argan oil
- Jojoba oil
- Carrot seed oil
- Wash your hair with a natural dry shampoo with warm water to open the hair cuticle
- After choosing your penetrative & sealant oil, heat the oil in a water bath and not directly on heat to avoid killing the oil nutrients. Please don’t use a microwave.
- Massage warm oil onto scalp and cover with heating cap/ plastic cap with a towel wrapped on top of the plastic cap to aid with heat generation for 30 minutes
- Rinse out the oil